June 16, 2010
Toronto band Styrofoam Ones are an orgy of musical styles entangled into one cohesive sound described simply as pop noir. However, pigeonholing them into any genre is an impossibility. Bringing the raw energy of punk, combining it with pop and throwing in some Richmond st. Club sounds for good measure, Styrofoam Ones are one of the more unique bands playing this year’s festival. To tell us more is keyboardist/vocalist Andrew The.
Doing fine, feelin’ great. Just playing drums at Jane & Finch Mall for some youths.
2. There are a lot of bands playing NXNE, why should we watch yours?
Cuz [sic] the girl that broke your heart and never called you back will be at our show.
3. What are you doing to prepare for NXNE?
Runnin’ from roof to roof practicing my parkcour.
4. What are you hoping to get out of the festival?
Just some barn yard fun.
5. Which act(s) are you hoping to catch during the festival and why?
De La Soul & Japandroids
6. Tell me a tour story that is crazy but true.
Funny enough. I had to buy a new tent yesterday for my friend cuz last year we went on tour and our tent & all our sleeping bags flew off the roof & got crushed on Hwy 401 on the way to MTL. We were risking our lives to play dead froggy in trying to retrieve it. We decided, ‘fuck it’. It ain’t worth it. We’ll try to find a place to stay on someones couch throughout our tour. Luckily we did. Thank God Canada’s got some friendly people.
7. What are Styrofoam Ones working on at the moment?
We’re working on building our trapezius muscles to get them lean & mean for a new album.
8. Which shows/events/BBQs are you playing?
Friday, 1am at Gladestone with DD/MM/YYYY & Timbre Timbre
9. Where can we find out more about you?
10. Any last parting words for us music-hungry Toronto folk?
Yes. New Styrofoam Ones Music Video coming out end of June. Look out for it.