June 7, 2010
With their bass grooves, hypnotic guitars, vocal hooks and booty shaking drum beats, These Electric Lives are a band guaranteed to get you out on the dance floor. Having just released part one of their debut LP We See Light this month, TEL should have no shortage of dance rock to play at their El Mocambo NXNE showcase. To tell us more is bassist Gary Peter.
DOING GREAT! I AM ON THE INTERNET.
2. There are a lot of bands playing NXNE, why should we watch yours?
IT’S A GREAT FESTIVAL BECAUSE THERE’S SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY. FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE UPBEAT, MELODIC ROCK WITH SYNTHS – COME SEE US! YOU WON’T BE DISAPPOINTED – PROMISE!
3. What are you doing to prepare for NXNE?
WE ARE PRACTICING DRINKING UNTIL 4AM…
4. What are you hoping to get out of the festival?
THE USUAL: FREE BEER TICKETS AT THE BAR, MAYBE SOME NEW FANS?
5. Which act(s) are you hoping to catch during the festival and why?
I’D LOVE TO SEE LES SAVY FAV AND THE BESNARD LAKES (NEVER SEEN THOSE BANDS BEFORE). EVERYONE SHOULD GO SEE OPOPO AND VITAMINSFORYOU – TWO LOCAL ACTS WHO HAVE DONE REMIXES FOR US AND ARE ALWAYS GREAT LIVE!
6. Tell me a tour story that is crazy but true.
OH GEEZ…WE PLAYED A BAR IN BELLEVILLE, AND AS WE WERE LOADING OUR GEAR OUT IN THE BACK ALLEY A REALLY BIG, BALD DUDE WEARING A LEATHER TRENCHCOAT (AND LITTLE ELSE) WAS YELLING ABOUT HOW WE WAS LOOKING FOR A MAN TO PLEASE HIM. HE WAS VERY AGGRESSIVE AND WE WERE REALLY SCARED.
7. What are These Electric Lives working on at the moment?
WE JUST FINISHED PART ONE OF OUR DEBUT LP! IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE AT ITUNES/ETC JUST BEFORE NXNE. IT’S AN 8-TRACK EP CALLED WE SEE LIGHT.
8. Which shows/events/BBQs are you playing?
WE’RE PLAYING EL MOCAMBO (UPSTAIRS) ON JUNE 18 AT 10 P.M. THEN WE MIGHT PLAY A PRIVATE/SECRET BBQ ON SATURDAY. SHHHHH…
9. Where can we find out more about you?
10. Any last parting words for us music-hungry Toronto folk?
WE LIVE IN ONE OF THE BEST CITIES FOR MUSIC-HUNGRY PEOPLE! SUPPORT YOUR OWN! AND ON THAT NOTE – WE’RE HAVING AN EP RELEASE SHOW THIS SUMMER!