June 7, 2010
A combination of honky-tonk meets indie rock with British pop sensibilities, Great Bloomers have a sound that is familiar of the music going on in Canada, but with their own unique spin. Comprised of an almost entirely different line-up than last year’s NXNE showcase, singer/guitarist Lowell Sostomi tells us what to expect this time around.
I am currently at home eating a modest portion of ice cream.
2. There are a lot of bands playing NXNE, why should we watch yours?
Well, we really like to have fun when we play live. We give it our all every time and we don’t like to disappoint!
3. What are you doing to prepare for NXNE?
Cutting off all my jean pants into shorts.
4. What are you hoping to get out of the festival?
Hoping to watch as many bands from out of town as possible, and not just go see my friends play.
5. Which act(s) are you hoping to catch during the festival and why?
Mudhoney and X – I haven’t seen them before. I am super stoked that they are coming. Sloan – always rule.
6. Tell me a tour story that is crazy but true.
Great Bloomers has almost an entirely new line-up of players since last NXNE. It’s been a wild year, and i have been hustling my ass off, but the pay off has been tremendous. We’ve grown a lot since last year and we’ll be playing a lot of new material.
7. What are Great Bloomers working on at the moment?
Writing and arranging a new album. It’s the most excruciating/rewarding part of being in a band.
8. Which shows/events/BBQs are you playing?
El Mocambo Thursday June 11th at 1 a.m. Be there.
9. Where can we find out more about you?
10. Any last parting words for us music-hungry Toronto folk?
Pace your drinking. See you soon!