June 1, 2010
Considering I discovered this band via a sticker in a dirty Toronto venue washroom, it comes as no surprise that their answers to our NXNE preview questions are slightly invasive. However, as a sucker for both gin and riots (not to mention the band’s stellar British sticky indie rock), their minor vulgarity is forgivable in lieu of their pending awesomeness during the festival. Frontman Guy Stevenson tells us what we can expect from their return to NXNE.
Ill in bed. Just back from doing Liverpool Sound City where we hit it a lil bit too hard. Thinking about you. What you wearing?
2. There are a lot of bands playing NXNE, why should we watch yours?
Because we put on a proper show. Because the songs are strong and catchy. Because our drummer Taan is a dashing gent.
3. What are you doing to prepare for NXNE?
I dunno. Working on our Hugh Grant accents?
4. What are you hoping to get out of the festival?
We’re hoping to pick up more Canadian friends. We played NXNE in 2008 and played a wicked show to a packed house. We’re more experienced and a better band now, so the plan is to build on what we’ve got out there. You never said what you were wearing by the way…
5. Which act(s) are you hoping to catch during the festival and why?
PAVEMENT! I heard a rumour they’re playing. Say it’s so! Also, Surfer Blood and maybe old boy Iggy.
6. Tell me a tour story that is crazy but true.
Most stories like this revolve around our fuckwit of a guitarist Cillian. He’s done a lot [of] stupid, frustrating n’ funny things – impaling himself on a fence and catching a flesh eating disease…Pretty smart, no?
7. What are the Gin Riots working on at the moment?
We’re putting the finishing touches on a new EP set to be released in July. We’re always writing new stuff though and we’ve got some wicked ones lined up to play for the first time at NXNE. It’s sounding quite seedy.
8. Which shows/events/BBQs are you playing?
El Macombo – Sat 19 – 1 a.m.
BBQ – Joao Carvalho Mastering BBQ – Sat 19 – sometime between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m.
9. Where can we find out more about you?
10. Any last parting words for us music-hungry Toronto folk?
See you in Tarannnaa! Until then though, love to you and your mothers! xxx